Thursday, May 15, 2014

Leaving the Country without Obtaining Advance Parole

Advance Parole is most commonly used when someone has pending Form I-485 (application to register permanent residence or to adjust status).  If you depart the United States while your I-485 application is still pending without first obtaining Advance Parole, your case will be denied unless you fit into a narrow exception for those maintaining certain nonimmigrant status.

If you have an emergency and need to leave the United states without having advance parole, what can you do?

If you experience an extremely urgent situation where you need to leave the country, you may visit your local USCIS office to request an emergency advance parole document.  When visiting a field office to request emergency advance parole, please bring the following items:

  • A completed and signed Form I-131 (Application for travel document)
  • The correct I-131 filing fee, or receipt of a pending Form I-131, if already filed
  • Evidence to support the emergency request (e.g. medical documentation, death certificate)
  • Two passport-style photographs

Please follow us on twitter and facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment